Light and Crispy Waffles
- PREP 25mins
- COOK 10mins
- TOTAL 35mins
These light and crispy waffles come together quickly. Cornstarch is the secret for crispy waffles. Mixed with flour, cornstarch guarantees that your waffles will be perfectly crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.Makes approximately 4 to 5 waffles, depending on waffle iron
YOU WILL NEED
3/4 cup (100 grams) all-purpose flour
1/4 cup (30 grams) cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup (235 ml) milk, whole or 2% reduced fat milk are best
1/3 cup (80 ml) vegetable or lightly flavored oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Butter, syrup and/or berries, for serving
- PREPARE BATTER
- MAKE WAFFLES
ADAM AND JOANNE’S TIPS
- Buttermilk Waffles: To make buttermilk waffles, simply replace the milk with 1 cup of buttermilk. Or, use a combination of milk and buttermilk.
- Extra Light Waffles: For even lighter waffles you can separate the egg. Mix the yolk into the wet ingredients. Then, whip the egg white until stiff peaks form. Once you’ve blended the dry and wet ingredients, fold in the beaten egg white.
- About the Salt: We use kosher salt. If you don’t have it on hand, keep this in mind: 1 teaspoon fine sea or table salt = about 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt.
- Recipe inspired and adapted from Aretha Frankensteins Recipe
- Nutrition facts: The nutrition facts provided below are estimates. We have used the USDA Supertracker recipe calculator to calculate approximate values. We assumed 5 waffles. The calculations below are for 1 of 5 waffles.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: Calories 262 / Protein 5 g / Carbohydrate 25 g / Dietary Fiber 1 g / Total Sugars 5 g / Total Fat 16 g / Saturated Fat 3 g / Cholesterol 41 mg
AUTHOR: Adam and Joanne Gallagher